Tours and Admission
The John Lind House is centrally located in the scenic river valley town of New Ulm, Minnesota. Built for John Lind, a lawyer, congressman and Minnesota’s 14th governor, this 1887 Queen Anne mansion was constructed of local red brick over a rusticated stone base at a cost of $5000.
Its elegant architecture, designed by Frank Thayer, exhibits such quintessential stylistic features as a wraparound porch, imposing turret and bays with leaded-glass transom windows. This stately house was often the center of the community’s cultural activities. On December 31, 1974, the house was officially recorded with the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural and political significance.
In 1984, the Lind House Association purchased the house with grants from the State of Minnesota, the Minnesota Historical Society, the City of New Ulm, the Aid Association for Lutherans and private donations. The Lind House has been restored in the style in which it was originally built and is now available for private receptions, meetings and, once again, cultural events.
The house is owned and maintained by the non-profit Lind House Association. Tours are conducted by trained volunteer docents who graciously donate part of their time to interpret the home to visitors.
Book A Tour
TOURS AVAILABLE YEAR-ROUND
By appointment only, 24 hr. notice required.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-354-8802 to make an appointment
Free for Ages 12 and Under